Delaware Family Voices, Inc (DE FV) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization, located in Wilmington, Delaware. Their mission is to improve access to quality care and support for children, youth and young adults with special health care needs and disabilities by empowering families and the professionals who provide the services with information, education, advocacy skills and the tools they need to assure the best health outcomes for their family.
DE FV helps families of children with special needs become informed, experienced, and self-sufficient advocates for their children and themselves. They provide families with valuable resources and information concerning children’s healthcare needs. Their staff assist families in navigating the maze of health care services and programs in the state of Delaware, including health insurance coverage (private and Medicaid) and other benefits.
DE FV helps children achieve their best possible health outcomes and enhance their quality of life by providing them with the one thing that children need most to achieve their potential – knowledgeable, assertive, and caring parents. DE FV is the state affiliate of National Family Voices.
- Family to Family Health Information Center: Helps parents understand and navigate the complex state service systems, private insurance, Medicaid, Social Security and community resources. They provide much more than a phone number and will explain, teach and stand with parents as they gain the knowledge and confidence needed to navigate these service systems.
- Parent to Parent (P2P) Program: This program matches a parent with a trained certified support parent for emotional support.
- Medicaid Managed Care Organization (MCO) Calls: Every second Tuesday of the month, parents have an opportunity to call and discuss different issues that they are facing with their Medicaid MCOs.
- Care Notebook Training: Teaches the concept of family-centered care and medical home and demonstrates a record keeping system that enable parents to have all of their children’s health information organized in one place.
- Care Map Training: A tool that explains all that parents with a child with a special healthcare need do to meet their child’s needs.
- Navigation 101: Identifies and describes the steps parents need to take to meet their needs in order to reach the best possible outcomes for their child.
- Caregiving and Respite Care: Discusses the importance of parents taking care of themselves in order to best care for their child.
- Training and Workshops: We offer many topics including: health insurance, benefits, social security, guardianship, transitions and many more.
DE FV also serves children transitioning to adulthood: “Transition starts the day you have a diagnosis.” Staff educates families on the options available and the differences between guardianship, power of attorney and supported decision making. They will also explain at what ages your young adult is eligible for certain services and benefits. In addition, staff share information in regards to services available through the DE Division of Vocational Rehabilitation (DVR) and the DE Division of Developmental Disabilities Services (DDDS). Finally, they provide information and resources related to transition through one-on-one meetings, trainings/workshops and social media.
Staff uses their own personal experiences as parents with children with special healthcare needs, as well as training they receive through National Family Voices and their National partners, to best serve their families. DE FV staff attend National affiliate organization conferences, as well as in state conferences. These conferences frequently provide trainings and new resources staff will share with families and the professionals that serve them.
DE FV has worked and collaborated with the majority of the Family SHADE member organizations, state agencies and actively participates in many councils and committees in order to better serve children with special healthcare needs and their families. The following are some of the organizations with which DE FV has collaborated with:
– Parent Information Center of DE
– DE Community Legal Aid Society, Inc.
– Autism Delaware
– Medicaid and other state agencies
– Insurance companies
There is no charge for the services provided by DE FV. The organization is funded through state contracts and federal grants. Services are also offered in Spanish through a bilingual staff person.
The information about upcoming events hosted by DE FV, please click on the following link: http://www.delawarefamilytofamily.org/upcoming-events.
DE FV contact information is as follows:
Delaware Family Voices
222 Philadelphia Pike, Suite 11
Wilmington, DE 19809
Toll-Free: (877) 235-3588
Local: (302) 669-3030
For more information about DE Family Voices, please visit their website at http://www.delawarefamilytofamily.org/.