TransCen, Inc and Mid-Atlantic ADA Center – A Whole New World: Supporting Transition to Post Secondary Life with the ADA Webinar Series – June 23 to August 13
Every student with a disability who has received special education services needs to plan and prepare for transition to life after high school, no matter where they’re headed – college, vocational school, apprenticeship program, or employment. As vocational rehabilitation professionals, school counselors, transition specialists, and other service providers work to help students and families prepare, it is important to understand the significant changes that lie ahead. No longer will teachers, parents, or other adults assume responsibility for identifying disability related needs; the young adult with a disability must be ready to speak up, initiate requests for accommodations in the classroom or the workplace, and be a full and active participant in ensuring their needs are met.
TransCen’s Mid-Atlantic ADA Center will host a three-part webinar series designed to help professionals inform, assist, and support youth with disabilities and their families as they prepare for transition. Sessions will focus on how the ADA differs from special education law and the importance of understanding these differences in order to ensure a more effective transition to adult life.
Dates and Topics:
Tuesday, June 23, 2020, 2:00-3:00 PM ET – Good-Bye IDEA, Hello ADA: From Special Education to Civil Rights
Thursday, July 30, 2020, 2:00-3:00 PM ET – Preparing Students with Disabilities for Success: Accommodations in Higher Education and Employment
Thursday, August 13, 2020, 2:00-3:00 PM ET – To Disclose or Not to Disclose: Preparing Youth to Talk about Disability
Continuing Education Recognition
- Each session of this series has been approved by the Commission on Rehabilitation Counselor Certification (CRCC) for 1 Clock Hour. The third session has been approved for Ethics credit.
- The series subject matter aligns with the Certified Employment Support Professional (CESP) Content Outline.
- Certificate of participation
- Webinar Access: $35 per webinar, $70 for 2 webinars, $100 for all three
- Continuing Education Recognition: $10 certificate of completion for each session, $20 CRCC clock hours for each session
For more information and to register, please click HERE.