Family SHADE

Enable. Empower. Enrich.

Enable. Empower. Enrich.

Facebook logo icon

Technology & Equipment

Many of the supplies you may need prescribed formula, syringes, disposable pads and gloves are medical supplies that may be covered through your insurance plan. Your doctor will write a prescription for anything your child requires and then it is sent to the insurance carrier or to the vendor of the supplies. Your case manager at your health insurance office should be able to tell you what vendors you may use. Durable medical equipment (DME) (and sometimes referred to as AT see below) is acquired the same way. DME is medical equipment that is more permanent and not considered disposable. A wheelchair or a hospital bed is two examples of DME. A hearing aid is another.

Assistive technology (AT) is broadly defined as any device that assists people with disabilities. A variety of agencies provide AT services in Delaware, including the Delaware Assistive Technology Initiative (DATI) of the Center for Disabilities Studies. Other agencies provide AT and home modification as part of their services. Some local charitable organizations may provide funding and your child’s school may also provide the equipment needed if related to their educational needs.. Ask disability-specific agencies if they provide AT services or funding for AT.

When calling for DME or AT ask about funding. If your child is getting a wheelchair ask about your child being properly fitted and is it covered through insurance.